What is Dru Yoga?
Sometimes people ask me what the word Dru means. The word Dru is a Hindu word for Dhruva; Dhruva relates to the North Star; in the Western World we know this star as Polaris. The entire northern sky wheels around Dhruva or Polaris and for thousands of years, people have used this star to navigate by. The idea is that Dru Yoga helps to get to that still point within you, to bring a sense of peace and tranquillity into yourself and the world.
Dru Yoga is one of the most graceful and therapeutic forms of yoga; it is based on flowing movements, directed breathing and visualisations. With its foundations set firmly in ancient yogic tradition, Dru works on the body, mind and spirit improving strength and flexibility, building a heightened feeling of positivity and rejuvenating your whole being.
What is unique about Dru Yoga?
- Joints are kept relaxed and soft during movement (as in tai chi). This creates flexibility and a free flow of subtle energy.
- Energy Block Release sequences (EBRs) are easy-to-practice, flowing movements that help to release tension physically, mentally and emotionally.
- In Dru Yoga all movements originate from the spine because a flexible, healthy spine supports your entire yoga practice.
- The spinal wave and spinal twist are core features of Dru, enhancing spinal health and vitality.
- A deep understanding of core stability is a major focus.
- Dru Yoga works to balance the chakras (energy centers of the body) and access the powerful energy of the heart.
- Within the flow of movement, Dru Yoga creates powerful moments of stillness which we call ‘Dru points’.
Source: DPN website
What Dru Yoga can do for you
- Reduce stress and tension
- Ease back pain, headaches and other physical discomfort
- Transform painful emotions into positive and have a better mood
- Ease negative thinking
- Resolve conflicts more successfully so you can have better relationships
- Improve feelings about yourself and others
- Boost your energy and vitality
- Positively transform your life and those around you
Yoga is about self discovery
Yoga is about the journey of self-discovery. To allow yourself some freedom and space is one of the greatest gifts that you can give to yourself.
Your health and wellbeing is my passion, to support you to get results and improve and maintain your wellbeing
My classes are one hour long, this includes an activation to loosen up the body, and an Energy Block Release which is the core of what Dru is about, a flowing sequence of moves to release the mind, body and spirit, then ending in a beautiful session of relaxation. What more could you want?
Is Dru Yoga for you?
Dru yoga is for everyone and is designed to be practised by people of all abilities, all fitness levels and all age groups! You do not have to be really flexible to attend a Dru Yoga Class.